ANDOVER PUBLIC LIBRARY JOB DESCRIPTION
Position: Cataloging Librarian
Reports To: Director of the Library
Position Summary: The Cataloging Librarian maintains the cataloging and classification of library materials. The Librarian also performs library assignments pertaining to the acquisition, processing, promotion, selection, and maintenance of the collection.
- Copy catalog MARC bibliographic records for materials in on-line catalog using RDA standards.
- Classify new materials using Dewey Decimal Classification
- Perform data entry and maintain and update bibliographic and holding databases
- Resolve bibliographic problems in on-line catalog
- Purchase and maintain collections of books, periodicals, audio/video and other materials as assigned. Contribute to selection where assigned
- Analyze and monitor collection, checking materials to ascertain physical condition, suitability, popularity and use. Weed collection as needed to maintain quality
- Generate reports and analyze collection use within library collections
- Provide Readers’ Advisory, reference information and referral service to patrons
- Implement publicity both in the library and on the internet and social media, and create displays, bulletin boards and programming for collections and events
- Understand and have thorough knowledge of library’s Collection Development Policy and Policy on Intellectual Freedom
- Collaborate with director on collections, services, planning policies and professional matters
- Perform circulation duties
- Attend conferences, workshops, training sessions as part of on-going professional development
- Other duties as assigned
- Education: Bachelor’s or AA degree + experience
- Experience in relevant areas
- Working knowledge of print, non-print and electronic resources available from wide number of sources including publishers, Internet and library and vendor-based systems
- General knowledge of wide range of subjects in order to classify and select materials for collection
- Knowledge of DDC, MARC records and other cataloging tools
- Knowledge of technical services functions and services
- Considerable knowledge of English language
- Skill in use of computer hardware and software including Internet
- Knowledge and support of principles of intellectual freedom
- Knowledge of the Polaris Library System
- Willingness to become a licensed passport agent
Physical Requirements: Ability to work in office setting and operate office equipment. Ability to lift at least thirty pounds, squat, kneel, reach above shoulder height and climb stairs as needed. Must be able to see all sizes of print or agree to corrective lenses.
Work Environment: Ability to work without supervision in a fast-paced multitasking environment, interact with public in cordial fashion, be receptive to change and attentive to details. Andover Public Library is located in a 15,000 square foot facility that opened in 2008 on the grounds of Andover Central Park. The Library houses over 50,000 physical items and serves over 12,000 registered borrowers.
Andover is a growing suburban community just east of Wichita. The Website HomeSnacks recently rated Andover as one of the top ten places to live in Kansas.
Hours: 40 hours per week, some flexible scheduling including evenings and Saturdays. This position is hourly, non-exempt.
Benefits: Fully paid single medical and dental insurance, vacation and sick leave, paid holidays, and retirement plan.
Salary range $12.50-$15.50 DOQ