Adult Services Librarian
Department: Adult Services Job Family: Administrative
Job Title: Adult Services Librarian Job Code: 722
Immediate Supervisor: Library Director Salary Range: $44,982 - $67,024
FLSA Status: Exempt Date: 10/10/2017
General Summary of Responsibilities:
This is a supervisory position in the Adult Services Department of the Minot Public Library. Work is performed under the supervision of the Library Director. The work includes, but is not limited to, supervising approximately ten staff members including:
Library Information Specialist
The successful applicant will participate as a team member among other Library staff and support the Library Board policies as well as the long range goals of the Library. The Adult Services Librarian must contribute to a cooperative and welcoming work environment. The Adult Services Librarian must serve the Library’s internal and external customers in a pleasant, empathetic manner. A successful Adult Services Librarian will exercise a high degree of initiative, sound judgement and discretion in the performance of the above stated duties as well as the responsibilities outlined below.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES: ** indicates an Essential Function of the ASL.
1. Support the mission, goals and values of the MPL. **
2. Recruit, select, hire, supervise, evaluate, schedule, assign and delegate tasks among professional library staff and volunteers as well as conduct staff meetings. **
3. Provide guidance and training to staff members and patrons. **
4. Provide professional library services for specialized areas such as reference and Adult Services. **
5. Order new books and periodicals; make collection recommendations; keep abreast of new offerings and purge collection, as needed. **
6. Answer patron questions and provide research assistance for patrons utilizing the library collection, digital resources, microfilm, OCLC, the Internet and other resources all while maintaining patron confidentiality**
7. Communicate effectively with staff members, patrons and outside organizations. **
8. Provide community outreach including appearances and collaboration opportunities with local businesses and organizations. **
9. Plan, prepare and promote events for adults in the community. *
10. Maintain statistical records and prepare monthly reports related to work. **
11. Assist in grant writing activities as needed.
12. Undertake special duties as assigned.
13. Provide library tours as requested.
14. Attend library-related meetings and conferences and partake in professional development opportunities. (This may require travel.)
QUALIFIED APPLICANTS REQUIREMENTS:
1. A Master’s Degree in Library Sciences from a college or university accredited by the American Library Association is required.
2. 1-2 years of successful management and supervisory experience, preferred.
3. 1-2 years of progressively responsible work in a public library setting, preferred.
4. Knowledge of methods and practice of professional library work including, but not limited to: library information systems, working knowledge of eReaders, computers, Microsoft Word, Excel, Publisher and PowerPoint, basic website updates and social networking sites.
5. Experience in collection management including purchasing and purging of collection as needed.
6. Ability to conduct reference interviews, analyze requests and perform complex computer searches of databases and internet resource.
7. Knowledge of library trends and development in library work.
8. Possess strong communication skills, including the ability to be a team player and be open to staff comments, suggestions, complaints or consultations as well as the ability to professionally resolve customer concerns or disturbances and handle emergencies in the library.
9. Possess strong problem solving skills.
10. Possess a willingness to learn about the Minot community and keep abreast of current events in the area.
11. Ability to employ effective time management skills.
12. Ability to act in a professional manner in order to always project the best image of the Minot Public Library.
13. Possess a willingness to learn about, use and train others on new technologies such as 3D printing, VR, robotics, coding, etc. as they become available.
14. Dedication to life-long learning.
PHYSICAL and MENTAL DEMANDS:
1. The ability to communicate effectively in written and oral form with staff, patrons and others.
2. The ability to use hands and arms.
3. Possess the ability to stand, walk, sit, bend, stoop, twist and crouch.
4. Possess the ability to reach overhead as well as down and horizontally.
5. Possess the ability to lift a minimum of 20 pounds.
6. Possess the ability to pull objects on a cart weighing 60-80 pounds.
7. Possess the ability to travel as needed outside the library to attend meetings as necessary.
Work is completed indoors in a temperature controlled environment.
Irregular shifts are required.
Work is performed under low-to-medium stress.