MPLA 2014 Leadership Institute
MPLA 2014 Leadership Institute
Date: April 27 - May 2, 2014; Estes Park, Colorado
Application period is now closed, decisions will be made by December 15th.
The 9th MPLA Leadership Institute will again be facilitated by nationally known organizational development consultant Maureen Sullivan. Ms. Sullivan has over 25 years of experience in leadership development and is the Past President of the American Library Association. She helped establish the ACRL/Harvard Leadership Institute and is a faculty member for its annual program.
Sponsorship Opportunities Available!
Are you a graduate of the MPLA Leadership Institute wanting a chance to pay it forward?
Do you have room in your library or institutional budget and wish to support the future of libraries and their leaders?
Are you a vendor with the desire to do just a little more this year?
Good news--you can help sponsor the 2014 MPLA Leadership Institute!
Free will contributions are accepted online. Donate Now!
We also have many levels of support that are geared toward vendors and institutions starting for as little as $500. Contact our Institute's co-chair Adriane Juarez (email@example.com) with your questions or to discuss the level that is right for you or your organization.
Spread the word!
Criteria for applicants:
- Employed in a library organization in MPLA’s 12-state region
- Current member of one of MPLA’s 12 affiliated state library associations
- Minimum of 5 years in a library-related job with progressive experience
- Record of experience that demonstrates leadership potential
- Expected continued contribution to the profession
- A thoughtfully completed application
- Two letters of recommendation
- MPLA members = $550; Non-MPLA members = $650
- Includes lodging and all meals
- Attendees pay for their own transportation costs. Individual libraries, state libraries, and state associations have assisted attendees with registration and/or transportation costs in the past. It is up to the individual attendees to pursue these or other sources of financial assistance.
Selection and notification:
30 participants will be selected through a process involving states and the MPLA Leadership Institute Committee. Notifications will be sent by December 15, 2013.
From past institute participants:
- The MPLA Leadership Institute turned out to be the single most gratifying and relevant experience of my library career.
- The MPLA Leadership Institute reenergized me professionally and personally, and best of all, it reminded me why I love being a librarian.
- What an extraordinary opportunity for learning, laughing and leadership!
- The Institute validated my reasons for remaining where I am and offered me the impetus to analyze my present world and see if or how I need to make changes for the better.
- The Institute was one of the most amazing experiences that I have ever participated in during my lifetime.
- The most invigorating program I've ever attended
- I feel very gifted to have had the opportunity to participate in this wonderful Leadership Institute and not only develop my leadership skills, but to form many wonderful, lasting relationships with a group of very committed and passionate librarians.
- I discovered insights about myself that should not only make me a better leader but also a better librarian and a better person.
- I was able to focus on my own leadership strengths and weaknesses, solidify my professional goals, learn strategies for better workplace communication and ways to help myself and my coworkers manage change.
- The Leadership Institute was a welcome opportunity for me to disengage from the day-to-day bustle and think about the big picture with a group of engaged and engaging librarians.
- It was energizing to work with both new professionals and seasoned veterans to consider issues like empowerment, morale and managing conflict.
- I could not have asked for a more empowering experience than this Institute.
- It was amazing, inspiring and instructive on many levels, sometimes all at once!
- Previous attendee testimonials
The Institute will be held at the YMCA of the Rockies in Estes Park, Colorado. Located in the heart of the Colorado Rockies, the 860-acre facility is 65 miles northwest of Denver and is surrounded on three sides by the magnificent Rocky Mountain National Park. See http://www.ymcarockies.org/estes-park-center-colorado.html.